Friday, October 26, 2012

My Version of Macaroni and Cheese

I would love to visit Italy one day, can't wait to check this off my bucket list. I have only been to the Swiss-Italian border, Lugano, when my parents and I went to Switzerland ten years ago.
The history of Macaroni and Cheese dates back to the late thirteenth century in Southern Italy.

Ever since I was a child, Italian food like pizza and pasta has always been my favorite. After I finished University, my sister and I opened a small café and that's when I started cooking. I tried experimenting Pasta dishes like Lasagna, Tomato Spaghetti, Carbonara and Macaroni and Cheese. I have tried a lot of recipes from different cookbooks, sometimes combining or mixing the ideas until I came up to this recipe that has become my favorite.

Hope you enjoy! :)



Macaroni and Cheese

Ingredients:

500g Macaroni
1 can Tomato Sauce
3 Medium Tomatoes chopped
1 Large Onion chopped
3 Cloves Garlic chopped
Rock Salt
Ground Black Pepper
2 Tsp Parsley
2 Tsp Paprika
Olive oil

Method:
1) Boil water in a deep pan, add olive oil and salt, carefully place Macaroni Pasta into the boiling water.
    wait until the pasta is soft and done, do not overcook. Drain the hot water,
    wash the pasta with cold water then drain again. Set aside.
2) On a pan with olive oil, turn heat to medium until oil begins to bubble, saute chopped onion and garlic
     until golden brown. Add chopped tomatoes and tomato sauce into the pan,
     dash some paprika, salt and pepper.
3) Place the boiled macaroni carefully into the hot tomato sauce, dash some parsley, paprika,
    salt and pepper. Simmer for 45 minutes.

Mornay Sauce:

3 Tbsp Butter
3 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
2 Cups Milk
1/4 Tsp Salt
1 Ounce Parmesan Cheese
2 Ounces Grated Cheddar Cheese

Method:
1) In a deep pan, turn heat to medium, melt the butter. Add milk.
2) Slowly dash flour into the pan, mixing it with the melted butter and milk.
3) Add Parmesan Cheese and Cheddar Cheese
4) Dash some salt and simmer for 30 minutes. Make sure it doesn't burn.

-Place Macaroni with tomato sauce in a large Pyrex bowl or Oven SAFE container,
   put mornay sauce on top.
-Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
-Place the Macaroni bowl in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment